Friday, May 13, 2011

Cell Phones in the Classroom

Cell phones in general have many practical uses in the classroom to go along with texting information. A few of these methods include video and voice recording, access to the Internet, educational apps, email, calculators, sharing, reading eBooks, and social media. This is quite a list, and I think whether you use phones or accept their presence in your classroom depends on personal preference. I have had this debate before with someone who thinks blocking everything and not allow cell phones to even be in the schools is a rational idea. There is nothing wrong with this perspective, and if you feel this well, that is perfectly fine. In my opinion, the more you withhold, the more students try to get around the restrictions. At our school, we allow cell phones to be used in the hallways during passing time, at lunch, and before and after school. I feel that this works well and students can get most of their texting or talking out of the way during that time. In the classroom, they are forbidden to be out unless a teacher is using them for some purpose.

I have only used them for a couple of items. The students like to use them as calculators so I allow that. We also do projects every once in awhile where they need to text or call someone. All the other uses are great, but I think it depends on what you have for technology in your district. I have little reason to have the students use phones because every student has a computer. All of those components listed above are easier to use with a computer. If you are a district who does not have an abundance of technology, I think cell phones would be great. As long as you have wireless (and even if you do not most of the plans do) they have access to the Internet and anything else.

I think one of the biggest worries with the texting and the sharing is cheating. I do not feel like I have that problem because the students are always free to get help and look up anything they need. There are no secrets. Students understand that they are RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN LEARNING. This type of culture certainly does not happen over night and is not 100% full proof, but it has worked out well for me. I also use more of a checklist system anyway, so grades mean very little. As far as mandatory testing goes, student still take those on their own, and do quite well.
I would use cell phones a lot more if we did not have technology. I realize that many teachers and schools are against cell phones, and that is a valid opinion. It just seems to me that these students use technology EVERYWHERE, and in some situations, the only place they are not using technology is at school. As long as expectations are set and you build quality relationships with your students, the focus with the phones will shift more to the learning.

The following is an extensive site dealing with this topic, a video depicting a situations where cell phones are used in the classroom, and a cartoon giving commentary on the situation...


Credit given to the following: http://static.toondoo.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment